You Think You Know - But You Have No Idea

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

ESPN.com Article

Courtesy of my father! :)
Strength coaches doing heavy lifting - By Pat Forde

The article highlights of life/career of Notre Dame S&C coach Pat Longo. The article begins with a description of Coach Longo's office and strength room. 250+ piece of equitment, 50M track, 45yrd tuft. Rough life huh?

The article also described a 'big time' college fb coach similar to having the responisbilities of the head coach. They spend equal, if not more time with the players (thanks or no thanks to NCAA rules). I never really thought of it like that. But, now that someone has brought it up, it is very true. The FB coaches can only work with the players for a certain amount of time during the season/off season due to NCAA rules. However, the SC coach has a greater range of access to the players because they are in charge of the over all fitness/strength level of the players (which means the off season).

The SC is also similar to the head coach bc he/she works will ALL of the players, not just the o or the x or the running backs, which the 'specialty' coaches do. Like the head coach the SC overlooks the whole roster. Even the 'redshirt' freshmans that might never play in 5-6 years (they still have to lift etc).

The article then talks about the relationship between the head coach and sc, and how Longo and Kelly are co-workers, friends, confidantes etc. They have a long term relationship on and off the gridiron/weightroom. This is something I find to be very important, nothing could be worse then a head coach and a sc being on two different pages. Been there, done that. It is not fun nor easy as an athlete.

The one part of the article that stood out to me and I am not sure how I feel about it yet is Coach Longo's 'art of coaching' "the sound of silence" the article qoutes. No music, no TV/ESPN, no distractions in the weight room. I agree with the TV why would you put TV in a weight room to begin with?! Sounds like a huge lawsuit I wouldnt want to deal with. But, no loud music? I am not sure I could have survived 4 years of college athletics without music in the weight room. It wakes you up, gets you excited etc. I don't view it as a distraction.

The article also mentions Coach Longo's 'lack of barking'. "raises his voice only to be heard, never to motivate or berate". This is a tough one I understand he doesn't want to yell and scream and I agree with that/ But, does he not cheer on / encourgage his athletes as well. And honestly if the players are screwing around there comes a time when you might have to 'berate'. I do like how his philosophy is that 'the pep talks are left to the players'. This is very important that the players build a bond. But, the way I see it the SC is a part of the team/family and should be leading or at least taking part in the cheering/pep talking.

Anywho, that is just what I took out of the article. I would love to go sit in on a session with Coach Longo and see what the atmosphere really is like. I am sure it would be an incredible experience.

Until next time,
in eineacht le neart (with strength)

KIK

No comments:

Post a Comment